LEGO® is a privately held company that has been owned by the same Danish family since it was founded in 1932.
LEGO® is a fusion of the Danish words “leg” and “godt” (“play well”).
Coincidentally, in Latin the verb "lego" means "I put together" or "I collect."
LEGO® originally made wooden toys.
The first LEGO® brick was invented in 1949 and named "Automatic Binding Brick."
The modern LEGO® brick turned 50 years old at 1:58 pm on January 28, 2008.
All LEGO® elements work together whether they were made in 1958 or 2008.
The total number of LEGO® bricks made since 1958 would reach from earth to the moon ten times over if stacked on top of each other.
The LEGO® company is Europe's largest toymaker.
LEGO® has maintained its position in the top five toy brands for over twenty years. (Two other top toy brands include Mattel and Hasbro, both U.S. companies.)
LEGO® products are used in about 90 percent of U.S. preschools and kindergartens.
In stores around the world, seven LEGO® sets are sold every second.
There are enough LEGO® bricks in the world for each person on earth to be able to have 62 of them.
Children spend 5 billion hours per year playing with LEGO® bricks.
At least 400 million people have played with LEGO® toys.
Fortune magazine and the British Association of Toy Retailers voted LEGO® "Toy of the Century" in 2000.
The acronym AFOL refers to Adult Fans of Lego - typically artists, engineers, and hobbyists who build with or collect LEGO® pieces.
LEGO® bricks are made of ABS plastic (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene), the same material used in auto bodies. When formed, the plastic is heated to 450 degrees F and compressed using up to 150 tons of pressure.
LEGO® elements come in more than 11,000 shapes and 106 colors.
16 billion LEGO® bricks are molded every year - that's 2 million an hour, or 33,000 bricks every minute, or 550 pieces per second!
LEGO® people are called minifigures - or minifigs for short.
More than 4 billion LEGO® minifigures have been made since 1978, making them the world's largest population.
LEGO® has produced enough minifigures to encircle the earth at least four times.
In 1985, a Canadian company introduced the Mega Bloks brand of interlocking plastic brick construction toys.
Mega Bloks are made from plain styrene.
The Mega Bloks brand fills a market niche by producing military- themed products (which is against the LEGO® Group's philosophy).
K'NEX Bricks™ feature special holes for using with K'NEX rods and connectors.
Best-Lock is a cheaper interlocking plastic brick, about half the price of the leading brand.
Mega Bloks (made in Canada), LEGO® bricks (made in Denmark), K'NEX Bricks™ (made in the USA), and Best-Lock (made in China) are all fairly compatible.
On July 13, 2005, the control of 70% of the LEGOLAND parks was sold for $460 million to the Blackstone Group of New York while the remaining 30% is still held by the LEGO® Group.
Did You Know…? Two eight-stud bricks can be combined in 24 ways. Three eight-stud bricks can be combined in 1,060 ways. Six eight-stud bricks can be combined in over 102,981,500 ways!
ARIZONA | LEARNING FOR LIFE | PRODUCT CATALOG | LINK LIBRARY | ABOUT US | CONTACT
Copyright © by The Olsen Family
and purchase items via our
affiliate links. Thank you!